Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Who needs reality tv: the vet episode

Maybe I should change the name of this blog to: Have Chaos, Will Travel?  

Today was vet day.  Since it's taken me months to make an appointment.  Not because we have to wait.  Our vet is fantastic. We've always been able to get in within a day and he's just down the street.  Too far to walk, but still only 3 minutes by car.  More because I just kept forgetting to call.  So I called yesterday after Puma got a little pissy with me for playing with her paw.  

Mighty Puma is polydactyl.  With seven toes on each paw, we long ago learned that she tolerates the vet far better than she tolerates us when it comes to nail trimming time.  For the vet, she plays dead.  For us, she summons the dead.

And as long as I'm taking Puma, I might as well take Gizmo, otherwise known as Mighty Puma's sidekick Mange.  Where Puma likes to watch danger from afar, pretending that it's not worth her effort too concerned, Gizmo likes to charge right in and demand answers.  Like the office printer.  When it starts warming up and spitting paper, Puma moves to the perch across the office where she can watch but where she's close to the door, just in case.  Gizmo charges over and sticks her head right in the out shoot.  How she doesn't get paper cuts on her nose is a mystery.  

And as long as I'm taking two cats, why not throw in the guinea pig?  Apparently, the pet store lady handed down a set of instructions that Bailey took very seriously.  This is the kid who never met a directive she couldn't question or ignore, usually both.  But apparently, the rules for proper guinea pig care are set in stone and must be carried out to the letter and with frequency.  One of those rules is that it's nails must be trimmed regularly.  So why not.  Who says two is company, three's a crowd?  

Nothing like making a lunch time appointment with a vet to trim the nails of one fairly docile cat, then showing up with two cat carriers and a shoebox.  21 pounds of howling, hissing, squeaking, fur flying fun.  

Sorry, no pictures.  I had my hands full. 

And don't worry, the vet charged accordingly.  

No comments:

Post a Comment