Thursday, January 01, 2009

Craft Debacle December: Girls' Room

Our Christmas present to the girls' was to finally redo their room. We've been talking about it for awhile. They decided they wanted turquoise blue and spring green.... BRIGHT colors. This has created a never ending stream of craft projects! My plan was to get most of it done while the girls were with mom for Christmas week. As if. Craft projects are a nightmare! First, there's getting the plan together, then the tools, then execution. For me, it usually works this way: have an idea, shop for stuff, find directions on the Internet, find out I don't have the right / enough stuff, shop again at two different places because neither has the right stuff, start project, have to wait for stuff to come in the mail, pack project in a box and move on. :) This pile of lovely is going to be sheers over the blinds. We searched a myriad of box stores to find the right curtains. Finally, Don suggested we check out fabrics stores. Clearly, he knows know what he says. After 2-1/2 hours in the JoAnns here on Christmas Eve, I wore him down on this fabric. This was the first fabric we found there and I knew it was perfect. He took some convincing. So we bought all they had, got it home, and found out that it wasn't nearly enough! I called the store, and the 800 number. No more to be found. Ugh!! Then I whined to House of the missing sock, who that made a special trip to her JoAnns, where the found some in another Montana town. I'm crossing my fingers that it gets here soon, I'm anxious to make it work! One of the special requests was a beanbag chair. Again, box stores are no help. What do people buy at those places anyway? I've not been able to find anything I was actually looking for. Dad picked the fabric, he couldn't take all the blue and green. I found a pattern on the internet, simple enough. This was my christmas day project. But the first pattern I found required a zipper as the first step. Can you believe that there's nowhere to buy a zipper on Christmas day? Then, I broke the sewing machine needle. Can you believe there's nowhere to buy a sewing machine needle? After one trip to Walgreens, two trips across town to Memaw's, and three trips Safeway, this project is now on hold while we wait for the fill beads to ship afar. What craft project is complete without decoupage? Here's the early stages of the dresser I planned to decoupage. The budget was only enough for "new" beds, we had to make do with the dresser we already had. It was ugly, ugly, brown. Some little squirrels had put stickers on it. Ugh. I knew this project would take awhile. I ordered fabric from Etsy while we were snowed it, feeling all clever. Of course, the place I ordered the fabric from was snowed in too! It took forever for the fabric to get here. That turned out to be okay, since the girls have been around to help. They think it's great fun to get to glue stuff to furniture. But I keep running out of the Hard Coat Mod Pogue. I've been to all three craft stores in Camas/Vancouver and bought all I could find. I'm just hoping it's enough!
Here are the girls' painting paper lanterns for lights. What slumber party is complete without paint on the pjs. And, of course, the cat! So if you are wondering where I've been, it's up to my knees in paint and fabric and glue and yarn. And don't ask if it's anywhere near complete. Because it isn't even close, really. I'm just hoping to get to close so we can move them back in there before school starts next Monday!

1 comment:

  1. You are one brave woman. Good luck with the bedroom. Post some after pics when you guys are done.

    ReplyDelete