Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Snow Day?

Today is what I call a solidarity snow day.  Not because we actually have snow.  There isn't a speck of snow anywhere.  But the school district called a late start / snow day anyway, so I can only assume it is in solidarity with all those people around the world that actually do go to work and school everyday, even when it snows.  Here's what happens in the northwest... the weather forecast says "chance of snow".  This causes the masses to panic.  The newspapers email out breakings news alerts every hour.  The snow never comes, but when the school officials awake at 5am after a fitful sleep plagued with dreams of being snowed in (having read Little House on the Prairie as a kid, one too many times) they find the world cold and grey.  Who wants to get up anyway?  It's winter in the northwest.  Its dark.  Its cold.  It could be dangerous out there, who can tell?  So they call a 2 hour late start.  When my text messaging chirps at 5:14am, I don't even have to look anymore.  I just know.  Snow day.

No comments:

Post a Comment