Menu Plan Monday: I'm still surfing a sugar high from Friday night. In case you were wondering, recession depression plus PMS plus Halloween make for a wicked sugar orgy. And since my usual sugar consumption is fairly low, it's been 24 hours and I still feel nauseated. What a crazy holiday. Leave it to the Irish to create a festival to kick your butt.
I've been thinking of menu planning for the whole month of November, but my creativity can't stretch that far. Maybe for January. I won't even threaten for December. After all, there's still Christmas Cards, gifts, decorating, travel, movies, cookies, parties and sanity to deal with in December. I'm trying to muster some enthusiasm, maybe it's just too early. Or maybe it's the state of the economy. A trip to Walmart this week left me in a state of true recession depression. I'm scared about what it'll be like with the Christmas mayhem starts. Don't make me go back!
This was the last week for our Storytree Farm CSA, so this will be the last of the great local produce until spring. That's bumming me out too. But we have a ton of winter squash, lots of cute little fingerling potatoes and a decent pile of beets still. Plus what I canned and froze this year, so it'll be a few weeks before I really suffer but I can see it coming.
On top of all the other things going on this week, I tried to kill the kitty with a serious dose of too many chemicals. I don't know what I was thinking, I wasn't really. I mean, after all, I won't take conventional pharmaceuticals except in rare instances. Don won't take anything stronger than an aspirin. Threaten fluoride or vaccines on the kids and he comes unglued. But our sweet little 4 pound Gizmo was napalmed this week by me (with the help of modern chemicals and our vet). First, a distemper booster, then a couple days later a dewormer booster, then another day later--not thinking about the first two chemicals in her little body--a topical flea medication. Poor little kitty could hardly do anything but sleep and drink water all week. Today, she finally started to show a spark of herself, playing with us for awhile before going back to sleep. Here's the kicker, SHE STILL HAS FLEAS. And there is nothing sadder than a sick kitty, except maybe knowing it was my fault.
Smoked Salmon Hash Poached Eggs
No comments:
Post a Comment