Saturday, August 09, 2008

I do it to myself...

... but of course, you all knew that! Remember the apricot weekend? Well, I guess I didn't because I've done it again. This time its berries--blueberries and blackberries. Every time the blueberry people have been at the market, I've been out of town or on my way out of town, with no time to get overboard. So this weekend I couldn't help but bring home a half flat, 5 pounds of blueberries. Why the moderation? Because Don was also threatening a blackberry picking trip this weekend, which netted another 5 pounds of blackberries. The best part was my brother TJ and his friend Laura came along for the picking. They had stopped by the market to say hi and drop off a lovely wedding gift (that had already traveled all the way to Spokane and back!). Typical of our world, they got swept up in it for awhile and come along on the berry picking adventure. It didn't take long to pick enough for a full batch of jam and two quarts for the freezer, but now I'm out of jars and room in the freezer for the blueberries! I'm off now to make some blueberry breakfast bars (I hear they freeze well). I may even try the recipe from this week's chef demo in the market, blueberry burgers. I can't feed them ALL to the chickens. :)

2 comments: