Sunday, September 09, 2007

Plums Anyone?

It seems like bad karma to let fruit grown with care and picked by grandma go to the fruit flies. Even if I didn't ask for it to enter my kitchen, it's here now. After my summer of reading books about eating locally year round, maybe I did ask for this. So when my Aunt Nancy told me that canned plums are DE-licious (and pretty too), I caved. I credit two people for my love of cooking: my aunt Nancy who loves to cook, is very good at it, and who I've been watching and helping since I was very young and my mother who let me try (or at least didn't stop me from trying) all manner of culinary experiments in her kitchen. So if Aunt Nancy says these things are going to be edible, I guess I better get to it. Turns out, canning plums is the easiest thing in the universe. One hour, start to finish (not including the dishes--so not my job). In one hour, I found all Grandma's hiding places, washed, pitted, sterilized, packed, sauced, and sealed every remaining plum in the house. I haven't tried them yet, so if Nancy fibbed about how DE-licious these things are, I know what she's getting in her Christmas stocking this year--4-1/2 quarts of canned plums!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment